If you love a bowl of Thai coconut soup on a cold day, this Tom Kha Gai soup is really simple to make and very delicious. The creamy broth will bring comfort and the tangy hues a nice surprise. Recipe and photo by 40 Aprons
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 bowls
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 red jalapeno pepper sliced, or a couple Thai chiles, halved
- 3 quarter-inch slices slices galangal or ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 teaspoons Spice Squad Thai Red Curry
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups canned coconut cream or coconut milk
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz. white mushroom caps sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut sugar if on
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp. fish sauce plus more to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 green onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno or chile, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the aromatics (the garlic, onions, lemongrass, and ginger) and discard. Add in coconut cream or milk, chicken breast (or tofu or shrimp), and mushrooms. Simmer until chicken breast pieces are just cooked through, then add fish sauce, coconut aminos (or coconut sugar), and lime juice, plus more of each to taste.
- Cook 2 minutes, then ladle into serving bowls and top with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro.